Proposed renaming engine for v1.1

Home Forums Proposed renaming engine for v1.1

  • This topic has 4 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Adam.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #518
    Adam
    Participant

    I’ve completed development of the download renaming engine for the upcoming v1.1 release. Please have a look and offer your opinions and suggestions, including any additional specifiers you’d like to see. Here’s the link:
    Airnef v1.1 Renaming Engine

    #521
    Flashlight
    Participant

    Looks good and well thought out.

    Only issue that I can see is the time format, as in 14:05:13, because the ‘:’ character is not allowed in file names on a Windows computer.

    Personally I rename my files to something like 20150924_140513_004_1234.NEF which makes sorting easy. The 004_1234.NEF is the original file name where I replaced ‘DSC’ by ‘004’ in the camera menu as it’s camera #4. If I use two cameras (e.g. 004 with a standard zoom and 003 with a tele zoom) the combined shots will be neatly sorted on capture date and conflicting file names can never occur even in the unlikely case that the capture dates should be the same.

    But ‘lower’ cameras, like my D80, do not have the menu option to change the default ‘DSC’ in the file name so there the serial number with the replace option might be highly valuable in my personal scheme.

    #522
    Adam
    Participant

    Thanks for the feedback. I think your yyyymmdd format as the default full-date specifier makes more sense, since as you indicated it allows for chronological sorting. I’ve changed the default to those. Naturally others might have a different preference and so they can use the component date specifiers instead to build their own custom string. As for the time I’ve been back and forth on the default including colons since as you indicated it’s not supported in Windows filenames (OSX allows). For now I’ve decided to remove the colons from the default timestamp specifiers.

    Btw one consequence of using ‘@’ as the specifier prefix is that I had to change the prefix used to load options files from ‘@’ to ‘!’. So in v1.1 to load command-line options from a file you’d use !myfileopts.txt instead of @myfileopts.txt for example. I don’t like to change primary command line options like this between versions but @replacere@ consumes a lot of special characters for the regex support.

    • This reply was modified 6 years ago by Adam.
    #524
    Flashlight
    Participant

    Better I think. Additionally I would change @capturedate_y@ and @dldate_y@ also from ’15’ to ‘2015’. Although the 85 years to the year 3000 is a long time in software and camera development, I can see no issues when you use ‘2015’ but I can see some when using ’15’. Think about reading the number into a date field in software for processing (which I actually do) or the year 2000 ‘bug’ (which seemed to be mostly hoax) transported to our great-grandchildren who are of course looking at our photos on a daily basis 😉

    When I saw the ’15’ in the original proposal I immediately thought “OK, so I have to make a string that starts with ’20′”. I think if someone really wants only ’15’ they can create a special specifier but I suspect few actually will do that.

    #527
    Adam
    Participant

    Agreed, just changed those as well. Anyone wanting the two-digit form of the year will be able to use the subscript feature, such as @capturedate_y:2@

    • This reply was modified 6 years ago by Adam.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.